Workshop & Laboratory Technician
Workshop & Laboratory Technician (fixed term)
£17,399 to £20,624 per annum, depending on skills and experience
Salary progression beyond this scale is subject to performance
An opportunity has arisen for an individual to join a team of engineering technicians engaged in supporting Architecture & Built Environment and wider technical general duties.
Duties will include:
- The supervision of students while using basic machinery on either Engineering or Joinery equipment. This involves instruction and operation of all basic machinery.
- Construction of research rigs using a variety of skills which supports the Faulty's growing research projects. These may involve using Engineering, joinery, plumbing and certain low voltage electrics.
- Infrastructure and support activities including manual handling of items and maintenance within the local area and the wider Faculty of Engineering to facilitate operational requirements.
- Monitor and control stock levels in the Centre for 3D and Centre for Mechanical systems, provide advice on required components and order as necessary. Ensuring that the facilities are kept in good order to enable student and research work to be carried out efficiently.
- Maintenance of basic equipment and general housekeeping of both Centres. To keep equipment running for research and teaching applications.
- Following Health and Safety regulations and procedures affecting self and others.
Any other duties appropriate to the grade and role of the post holder.
Candidates must have a minimum of two A-levels in relevant subjects, or equivalent vocational qualifications (NVQ, City & Guilds) plus some experience in a relevant technical role or considerable work experience in a relevant technical role. Candidates must have basic experience working in a workshop or laboratory environment with basic experience maintaining and using equipment and machinery, also computer skills are required. An understanding of Health & Safety regulations and procedures is essential. A flexible approach and the ability to communicate are both essential. Training will be provided where required, a willingness to learn and develop skills and responsibilities will be encouraged and expected.
This position is offered on a full time, fixed term contract for a period of two years.
Please note that applications sent directly to this email address will not be accepted.
To Apply, please visit our website by clicking apply.
Thursday 24 August 2017